Friday, April 27, 2012

Easy Peasy Pesto

Pin It Now! Ya know how we made homemade pizzas a couple weeks ago?


Well, see, a tomato basil pizza only uses so much basil.  But when you buy basil at the store, ya gotta buy a ton of it.  So after we used all eight leaves of it on our pizza, I thought "Now what in the heck am I gonna do with all this basil??"  Well, duh, make pesto. 

This is a very simple, basic pesto recipe.  Typically pesto calls for pine nuts, but those bad boys were expensive.  I used toasted almond slivers instead and it was just as delicious.  I've also heard that you can use walnuts in place of the pine nuts.  Having never tried that myself I can't back that up, so don't you go quoting me on that now.

Unless you try it with walnuts and it comes out great. Then you can say it was all my idea.



This makes about a cup or so of pesto.  Obviously this is great on pasta.  We've been putting it on pizzas and sandwiches, which is muy delicioso.  Aren't I fancy with my spanish?? 

Pesto
1 package fresh basil leaves (about two cups)
3-4 garlic gloves
1/2 c toasted almond slivers
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
olive oil

Rinse and dry basil leaves.  In a food processor, blitz basil leaves, garlic cloves and almonds until coarsely smooth (is that a term??)  Add in the parmesan and process briefly.  With the machine running, slowly add in olive oil until the pesto comes together and is mostly smooth.  Salt and pepper to taste. 




Have a great weekend!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...