Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chocolate Pudding for Grandpa

Pin It Now! The holidays tend to make me nostalgic.  And treat-crazy.  Every Christmas when I was growing up my mom and I would spend hours in the kitchen making shortbread cookies and fudge, my two favorite Christmas yums.

On Christmas Eve, we would light a fire in the fireplace, read the story of Jesus' birth and then tackle the presents.  I loved waking up Christmas morning to tear into the Santa presents under the tree and spend the day in my pajamas surrounded by wrapping paper mess.

The holidays also make me miss my sweet grandpas.  Both of my grandpas lived good, long lives, and we were blessed to have so many years with them.  Al Chaparro and Jerry La Celle both served their country proudly, and are now laid to rest in National Cemeteries - Santa Fe National Cemetery and Arlington National Cemetery, respectively.

Albert Chaparro

When I think of my Grandpa Chaparro (daddy's dad) the first thing that pops into my mind is his laugh.  He had a very distinct laugh that makes me smile to remember.  He drank his coffee out of the same mug every day - his prized World's Greatest Dad coffee cup.  A tall, strong man with a loving heart, he wasn't much for words a lot of the time, but his stories were mesmerizing.  He had solid faith in God, which he instilled in his children and grandchildren.  The last thing he said to me was, "I love you, too, sweetheart."


Jerry La Celle

My Grandpa La Celle (mom's dad) was a tall, slender man with sparkling blue eyes.  99.9% of the time, you wouldn't see him without a bow tie on.  He loved to sit in his comfy chair and observe the commotion of our large family, and every so often he would "psst" at me and motion for me to come give him a hug.  Even as Alzheimer's robbed him of himself, he looked at a photo of me, said "That's my granddaughter..." and hugged the photo tightly.  And to the end, he loved chocolate pudding.  Six years ago today, he left us.  This recipe is for him.

Chocolate Pudding
2/3 c granulated sugar
2 tablespoons + 1 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
3 c milk (I used 1% cuz it's what we had in the fridge)
4 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but fantastic)
1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Add 1/3 c of the milk, and stir to form a smooth paste.  Whisk in the egg yolks and remaining milk.


Cook the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Do not allow to boil.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon and cocoa powder until smooth.  Cover and chill at least two hours.

Serve with shaved chocolate, whipped cream, or just dig in like Grandpa would!  Enjoy!



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute, Sweetie! You have a real gift for writing!! This is so sweet!! :'} <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...